I am by no means an expert spinner; I am still trying to fix some of those little things that make my yarns imperfect. But I have a few tricks up my sleeve.
- Dude, relax. This is not a battle, don’t fight the machine, work with the pull, give it a steady amount of yarn.
- PREDRAFT!!!!!!!!! This is essential, even if you only do this a tiny bit, it just makes things so much easier. I used to predraft so much that I barely had to draft at all when I was spinning. Now I don’t do it so much, but I still prep the fiber no matter what.
- Back off. Back off. Back off. Do not sit with your hands two inches away from the orifice, I like to be between eight inches to a foot away.
- Sit up straight, no need to lean over. It hurts your back and if you can’t see your hands put your glasses back on.
- Keep your wheel oiled, it’s quieter and it works better that way.
I can’t think of much else. Hope that helps someone out there.